- 1 10-12 lb wild turkey fresh or frozen
- 12 tbsp butter softened, unsalted
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt exclude if using salted butter
- 1/2 tsp pepper ground
- Prepare turkey the night before. Combine butter, garlic, salt and pepper until smooth. Carefully loosen the turkey's skin with your fingers without tearing it. Rub the turkey inside and out with butter mixture, especially under the breast skin. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Remove turkey from refrigerator at least 1 hour before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease roasting pan rack. Put turkey breast side down in roasting pan and cook for 1 hour. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F after the first 20 minutes.
- Turn breast side up while avoiding tearing the skin or piercing the flesh. Baste the turkey with accumulated stock and juices. Allow a total roasting time of about 13 to 15 minutes per pound or until turkey has internal temp of 160 degrees F. Continue basting at twenty minute intervals for remainder of roasting time. Cover breast with aluminum foil if it appears to be browning to quickly and keep basting breast under foil.
- Remove the turkey from oven and cover with foil. Let rest for about 20 minutes before carving.
Source:: Jays Wild Game recipes – Wild Turkey
Share this Recipe